Lisa Smith - Artist Photographer - Show Opens May 29, 2010


The Turtle Enoteca is proud to present the work of Lisa A. Smith. Join us for wine and nibbles from 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Saturday, May 29, 2010. Lisa'a work will be for sale and remain in our wine bar and Candle Room until the end of July.

LISA A. SMITH: PAINTER, PRINT MAKER, PHOTOGRAPHER, ARTIST


Art to me is to provoke. To get people thinking, talking, it’s sometimes supposed to make them angry, so that they can’t help but confess frustration to the stranger standing next to them. But it is also supposed to help humanity question what art is, what life is, and even what, what is. Art can address any issue, emotion, problem, idea or ideology.

The main interest within my work is people, all aspects: anatomical, emotional, mental, spiritual, societal and intellectual. Because of this my imagery had ranged from the frightening others*, to the iconic Eve in the Garden.

People cannot escape themselves or their perspective, empathy can bring people close, but never completely outside of themselves, so it is with this recognition that I approach each idea from my own worldview. Even if I am doing a study of the human figure or a bird, it is through my eyes and my neurons that my hand draws out what my brain is telling the rest of my body is before me. Because of this my work is often biographical, or deeply personal. The subject matter may not directly relate to me, but my interest peaked on the subject because of a conversation that I found fascinating, a reveling story or something that I simply found curious or humorous.

It is the subject matter or idea that is most important to me, more often than not. And so I let the idea dictate the process, because of this I do not work with just one medium, and I prefer to mix mediums to any other method. With my two-dimensional work, for example, I enjoy layering not only images, but also text. Often within my 2D work I also utilized the technique of repeated image, and with my paintings and drawings that is almost always include collaged Xerox images.

Sacred imagery is something that I have used often, and within the culture that I grew up in one was constantly bombarded with religious imagery and language, and the question that I have been exploring for some time now, is, “If one repeats an image, how many times does it take for that repeated image to lose its meaning? Or does the repetition just reinforce the meaning?”

It is questions like these and my deep urge to create that drive my art, and that will continue to drive my art. I hope to perpetually challenge myself as an artist, so that my art may always challenge the viewer.

*Other in the philosophical concept of the self and the other.

Lisa was born in Abilene, but grew up in Huntsville, Texas. People have always fascinated her; so much of her art is figurative and explores the question of what it means to be human. Lisa's interests are wide and so her art reflects this, but there is a strong theme of the human figure. Her work is also often rooted in personal experience yet universal. She is a B.F.A. painting and drawing major at Hardin-Simmons University where she also received a BA in Theology this past December. She will finish my undergrad in December after which I will pursue an MFA, which MFA program she has yet to decide.














Fire Dancer